Devon on January 6th, 2010

I have been getting a lot of questions about my new job. So, I am going to tell you about where I work and a typical day. I am intentionally not putting the name of where I work because I do not want this entry to come up on a Google search above the new office’s website. I work for a┬álandscape architecture design studio specializing in high-end residential landscape projects. The majority of our work comes from homeowners, architects, and builders with whom we have had the pleasure of working (and yes, I built the website — released it November 30, 2009). Most of our work is within the Dallas/Fort Worth Metro Area. We work on high profile, well known, people’s houses — just so you know, I will never write about our clients/projects on my blog — so don’t get your hopes up. But, I will tell you the average cost of the houses are $1 to 5 million.

photoIn a typical day, I wake up at 7:30am. I shower, dress, do normal morning stuff. At 7:50am, I head to my apartment’s clubhouse for free breakfast — I get orange juice, a pastry, and either hot chocolate or tea. I then drive to work and arrive at 8am. I unlock the office, turn the lights on, and eat while I fill out my timesheet from the pervious day. I usually start my day with just general administration work. Then I continue working on things from the previous day. My boss arrives around 9-10am (he does morning client meetings — sometimes he doesn’t even arrive until after lunch). When he does arrive, he gives me a list of things to work on; usually red lined site/planting plans (changes to make), design concepts, and more recently, pool concept drawings.

meatworkWhen noon rolls around, I drive back to my apartment and have lunch. I usually watch my DVR-ed Price is Right or some show I did not watch from the night before. I get an hour for lunch, so I head back to work 5 min before my hour is up. Once I get back, either of two things happen. One, I continue working on red lines/concepts/the office website, or two, my Boss and I go drive around the D/FW metro area for site visits/Client meetings. A site visit consists of going to the site, making sure it is being built like we drew, and solving issues that arise (usually last minute changes). If we go for site visits, I normally get back to the office and then head home around 6pm. If we stayed in the office, I head home at 5pm — unless I stay longer to get something finished for an early client meeting the next day; then I end up getting home at 7pm.

Once I get home, I eat dinner, do housework, watch TV, play on the computer, write blogs (duh), and chat with friends. Sometime when I know a good show will be on, I will go to my apartment’s fitness center. The cardio machines all have personal 13″ flat screen with cable TV. It makes working out so much more enjoyable. Just flip on the show I know I am interested in and work out — it makes the time go by really fast. That is the one thing I hated about the REC at A&M, I like to work out for an hour, but I would run out of things to keep my mind occupied. Anyways, back to the main topic. At 10:30pm I get ready for bed and fall asleep around 11pm. That’s it — that is a typical weekday for me.


Leave a Reply